Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Anti-social behaviour

If an individual from another household causes you harassment, alarm or distress then it may be anti-social behaviour.
Tackling antisocial behaviour logo

Some examples are:

  • underage drinking
  • verbal abuse or abusive gestures
  • nuisance or illegal motorbikes
  • violence or threats of violence
  • hate crime/ incident
  • drug dealing or drug misuse
  • noise nuisance such as loud music, barking dogs, noisy neighbours, excessive noise from vehicles, noise from pubs or clubs
  • illegally dumped rubbish (fly tipping)
  • littering
  • graffiti, vandalism
  • harassment
  • racial abuse
  • damage to property
  • prostitution
  • an abandoned vehicle

Is there anything that I can do to tackle the problem?

If the incident is less serious, then ask yourself whether there is anything that you could try to do to alleviate the problem before reporting it. For example:

  • In the case of a neighbour dispute or where an individual is causing nuisance, are you able to speak with the person about the problem? Sometimes individuals are unaware that there is a problem or how their behaviour can affect others.
  • If you are unable to approach the individual could you write them a polite letter outlining the problem?
  • If you are experiencing problems from young people and you are aware of where they live are you able to speak with their parents /carers? Often many parents are unaware of the behaviour of their children when they leave the home and appreciate being informed of an incident so that they have the first opportunity to deal with the issue.

If you are able to speak with the perpetrator try to remember the following:

  • Stay calm and communicate in a polite manner, remember that if you are aggressive, the other person may become aggressive too and the problem may not be resolved. Explain the problem and how it is affecting you or your family.
  • Do not be verbally abusive.
  • Listen to other people's points of view and give them the opportunity to speak.
  • Try to reach an agreement.
  • If you cannot reach an agreement because the perpetrator is being unreasonable, leave the discussion.

If you have spoken to the perpetrator and incidents are still occurring or have worsened then contact the police, council or relevant agency.

If the incident is of a serious nature or the person cannot be reasoned with, then contact us or the police. Do not put yourself in danger.

Keep a record

Always keep a record of any incident(s) that occur. Be as specific as you can, record dates and times of incidents, locations and what actually happened. Record the names / addresses of perpetrators if you know them.

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)