Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Reporting anti-social behaviour

You can report anti-social behaviour to the police and the council.

Derbyshire Police

You should report serious and criminal anti-social behaviour to the police. For example:

  • criminal damage
  • violence or threats of violence
  • intimidation or harassment
  • public disturbances such as fighting
  • drug dealing, drug manufacturing or drug misuse.

To report a problem to the police you can call:

  • Police non-emergency number: 101
  • In an emergency tel: 999
  • If you wish to report incidents confidentially you can call Crimestoppers: 0800 555 111.

The anti-social behaviour officer

The Safer South Derbyshire Partnership is based at Civic Offices in Swadlincote. The team consists of a community safety manager, two safer neighbourhood officers, a police sergeant and an anti-social behaviour officer.

The anti-social behaviour officer works closely with the police and partner agencies including youth offending team, youth service, probation, education and fire service to tackle incidents of anti-social behaviour.

Examples of behaviour that you can report to the anti-social behaviour officer are:

  • nuisance youths (youth-related anti-social behaviour)
  • underage drinking
  • sales of alcohol to underage people
  • neighbour disputes
  • incidents of verbal abuse
  • problematic pathways associated with anti-social behaviour
  • breaches of Anti-Social Behaviour Orders (ASBOs).

The anti-social behaviour officer can also give general advice and support to victims and witnesses of anti-social behaviour and make residents aware of what tools and powers are available to tackle nuisance behaviour. Requests for temporary CCTV cameras for residents' homes and mediation can also be made through the anti-social behaviour officer.

Anti-Social Behaviour Officer
South Derbyshire District Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Anti-Social Behaviour Hotline: 01283 595795 (operates from 8.45am to 5pm Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays and between 9.30am and 5pm  on Wednesdays and from 8.45am-4.30pm on Fridays)
Anti-Social Behaviour reporting form 

Environmental Health Department

A statutory nuisance is something that is likely to cause injury to health or something that interferes with the peace, comfort and convenience of other people. The main types of statutory nuisance are:

  • noise
  • emission of smoke, fumes or gases from premises
  • drainage
  • fly tipping
  • build-ups of refuse, animal faeces or waste materials
  • premises in an unacceptable condition.

The Environmental Health Department can deal with pollution and statutory nuisances

The Clean Team

The clean team is a hit squad that responds to incidents such as

  • illegally dumped rubbish (fly tipping)
  • littering
  • dog fouling
  • discarded syringes
  • hazardous waste removal.

Report a problem to the Clean Team

Housing department

Our housing department is responsible for dealing with complaints of anti-social behaviour that relate to council tenants. It is a condition of the tenancy agreement, which all council tenants have signed, not to cause a nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to any other person.

If you are a council tenant and you have a complaint of anti-social behaviour about another council tenant you can report it to:

Housing section
South Derbyshire District Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 595795
Also see: Crime - council housing

Derbyshire T3

Young people's Drug and Alcohol Service tel: 01773 522 475
Genesis Centre, King Street, Alfreton


Providing information advice and support to those affected by someone else's substance misuse in Derbyshire: Freephone: 0800 068 5718.

Other useful contacts

Stop Hate UK: 0800 138 1625 (24 hour hate crime helpline)

Victim Support: 01629 825864

Citizens Advice Bureau: 01283 210107

Connexions: 080 800 13 2 19

Youth Service: 01283 210344 

Drink Line: 0800 917 8282 (Confidential helpline for anyone concerned about their own or someone else's drinking).

Derbyshire County Council: 01629 580000

Social Services: 01283 238000

Neighbourhood Watch: 01283 595787

Next Step: (against domestic abuse) 01283 229854

page ref: SDDC 449