Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Changes of circumstances - Housing Benefit

If you have been awarded housing benefit and your circumstances change, you must inform us. If you don't tell us about a change, and we pay you too much benefit, you may have to pay it back.

You must tell us about the following changes:

Changes to the money you get

Please tell us if:

  • you start or stop getting Income Support or Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
  • you start or stop getting Working or Child Tax Credit
  • the money you or your partner gets increases or decreases
  • the money non-dependants get increases or decreases
  • there are any other changes in the money people in your home get, for example, someone starts getting Disability Living Allowance.

Changes in your home

Please tell us if:

  • you change your address
  • the number of people in your home changes - for example, someone has a baby
  • a partner comes to live with you
  • a partner leaves.

Other changes

Please tell us if:

  • you, or your partner, become a student, or stop being a student
  • the amount of savings or capital you have changes
  • your rent increases or decreases.

You do not have to tell us about changes in age as we will have this information already.

Report a change in circumstances.

Reporting changes late

You have one month to tell us about changes.

If you fail to report the change within one month and the change would have increased your entitlement to benefit, we will only be able to pay you the additional benefit from the Monday following the date you tell us.

If the change would decrease your entitlement to benefit, we will go back to the effective date of change, regardless of how long ago the change took place.

Please report your changes to us on time. It will prevent overpayments and enable us to check that you are always getting as much benefit as you are entitled to.

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Customer Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 595795
Fax: 01283 595857
Online: change of address form or general enquiry / notification form

Page ref: LGSL 64, 70, 67, 73