Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Making a claim - housing benefit

Housing benefit can help you to pay your rent if you are on a low income.

You can claim housing benefit if:

  • you are on Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance or Pension Credits
  • you are on a low income (this includes people who are self employed)

You cannot get housing benefit if:

  • you, or your partner between you, have more than 16,000 in savings, unless you are over 60 and get the guaranteed pension credit.

A partner is someone you are married to or have a civil partnership with or someone you live with as if you are married to them or have a civil partnership with.

How do I claim?

If you claim income support or job seekers allowance you can claim through the The Job Centre Plus.

If you are making a claim for pension credits you can claim housing benefit at the same time with The Pension Service

You can claim directly with us by downloading a PDF version from the related documents section below.

Alternatively, you can request a claim form by contacting us using the details below.

Write to us:

South Derbyshire District Council
Revenue Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Online: Use this form to make a general enquiry or provide information

Page ref: LGSL 63, 69

Related documents

The following document is in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)