Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Council Tax discount

The amount of council tax you have to pay depends on:

  • your property's valuation band and
  • the number of people aged 18 or over living in your property

Single person discount

When we work out your council tax we assume that two people, aged 18 or over, live in most properties. If only one person aged 18 or over lives in your property, we can give you a single person discount of 25% (one quarter).

We may need to decide where someone's main home is for example, if they work away from home or if they have more than one home.

Disabled person relief

Your bill may be reduced if a permanently disabled person (whether an adult or child) lives with you.

Empty properties and exemptions

Changes to the Council Tax regulations were introduced in 2003 by the Government to give councils the discretion to vary discounts on both empty and furnished second properties, as appropriate for their specific areas.

Therefore South Derbyshire District Council has made the decision that there will be a reduction in discount from 1 April 2009 for two classes of properties that are not being used as anyone's main home. This decision brings us in line with the majority of local authorities in the country, who brought in this reduction in 2005.

Long term empty properties will have their discount removed altogether, resulting in a full charge after the initial three month exemption period. From 1 April 2014 second homes and furnished lets will receive no discount.

Second homes as a condition of employment will be unaffected by this decision.

This decision has been primarily made with regards to the strategic housing perspective where the council is committed to encouraging the return of empty properties into use.

Other discounts

Some people are disregarded for council tax purposes. This means that we will not count them when we decide how many people live in your property.

We may be able to give you a council tax discount if someone in your home is:

  • a student, student nurse, apprentice or youth training trainee
  • a non-British husband or wife or dependant of a student (who is prevented by the terms of her / his leave to enter or remain in the UK from working or claiming benefit
  • under 20 and still at school or has just left school
  • a person who still has Child Benefit paid for them
  • a person who is a foreign language assistant
  • a person who is severely mentally impaired
  • a carer
  • in prison or held somewhere else by the authorities
  • living in hospital
  • living in a care home
  • a member of a religious community
  • a person who lives in a hostel for the homeless or a night shelter
  • a member (or dependant) of international headquarters and defence organisations
  • a member (or dependant) of a visiting force
  • a person with diplomatic immunity or privileges.

We can reduce your bill by 25% or 50%, depending on how many people we count. If we count only one person as living in your property we can give you a discount of 25%. If we count nobody as living in your property we can give you a discount 50%.

Apply for a council tax discount


Subject to the Exemption criteria for Annexe’s a property which is separate from the main property but is subject to conditions preventing separate sale or letting, can now receive a 50% discount if it is occupied as a main residence by a relative of the occupier of the main house or if the property is unoccupied but is being used as part of the main house, for example used as a study area.

Contact details

South Derbyshire District Council
Revenue Services
Civic Offices
Civic Way
DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 595795
Fax: 01283 595857
Online: contact form

Page ref: LGSL 59

Related documents

The following documents are in Portable Document Format (PDF). You can download software to view PDF documents for free from the Adobe website (opens in a new window)