Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Council Tax disabled persons relief

Your bill may be reduced if a permanently disabled person (an adult or a child) lives with you.

Your home must have certain features which are essential, or of major importance, to the well being of the disabled person. These features are:

  • a room other than a bathroom, kitchen or toilet used to meet the needs of the disabled person
  • an additional bathroom or kitchen for the use of the disabled person
  • extra space inside the dwelling for the use of a wheelchair.

When considering whether a reduction should apply, we have to decide whether the person with the disability would find it impossible or extremely difficult to live in the home, or whether their health would suffer, or the disability become more severe, if the extra feature were not available.

To qualify for a reduction, the extra room need not be specially built, but can be an existing room used specifically to meet the needs of the person with the disability.

If your home is eligible, your bill will be reduced to that of a property in the valuation band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list. For example, if your home is in band D, your bill will be reduced to that for a band C dwelling. This will not, however, affect the value of your home or its banding on the valuation list. In this example, it would still be shown as band D on the valuation list. If your home is in band A (the lowest Council Tax band) a reduction of 1/9 of the band D Council Tax would apply.

Apply for disabled persons relief

If you believe that you may be entitled to receive a reduction please apply for disabled persons relief

We will contact you and make an appointment for our inspector to view your home.

page ref: LGSL 61f