Business | Community & living | Your Council | Environment | Housing | Jobs | Leisure & culture | Planning

Private housing

The Private Sector Housing section of the Environmental Health Department carries out inspections of privately rented properties to ensure that they meet acceptable standards. All types of rented property may be subject to inspection including self-contained flats, single houses and houses in multiple occupation (HMOs).

Disrepair - guttering

The enforcement officer will carry out an inspection of the property using the 'Housing Health and Safety Rating System' (HHSRS), to evaluate the potential risks to health and safety from any deficiencies identified.

The officer will then consider the best course of action to remedy the defects identified, given the range of actions available to the council under the Housing Act 2004.

What sort of problems do we deal with?

  • leaking roofs and dampness
  • general disrepair issues
  • dangerous electrical installations
  • dangerous / unstable structures
  • empty or derelict properties
  • filthy and verminous properties
  • overcrowding
  • fire hazards in houses in multiple occupation
  • home safety.

Disrepair in private sector rented accommodation

A landlord has a duty to ensure that accommodation is free from deficiencies which may pose a risk to the health and safety of the occupants.

Generally, the landlord is responsible for the providing the following, which should be maintained in a state of good repair/proper working order:

  • the exterior and structural elements of the property, and
  • installations within the property for:
  • the supply and use of gas, water or electricity
  • personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage
  • food safety
  • ventilation
  • space heating
  • heating water.

If a tenant identifies a defect in their home, they should contact their landlord in writing and try to negotiate the repair work without involving the council.

If the landlord fails to respond within a reasonable period of time, they should then make contact with this department.

Contact details

Both tenants and landlords can contact this department for an informal discussion and advice regarding rented accommodation on the contact details below:

Private Sector Housing
Environmental Health Department
South Derbyshire District Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
Derbyshire DE11 0AH

Tel: 01283 595719
Fax: 01283 595855
Online: contact form

Page ref: LGCL 2639