New private hire vehicle licence
Before we can grant a private hire vehicle licence we must be satisfied that the proposed vehicle is:
- Less than eight years old when granted
- Suitable in type, size, and design for use as a private hire vehicle
- Not of a design and appearance that would lead any person to believe that the vehicle is a Hackney Carriage
- In a suitable mechanical condition
- Has an insurance policy in place covering private hire work for all drivers.
- Full V5C registration document for the proposed vehicle which must show the vehicle to be registered by the applicant (exceptions can be made where the vehicle is retained due to a hire purchase agreement - evidence will be required)
- Insurance certificate covering private hire work for all proposed drivers
- Depot test certificate (also known as a compliance certificate)
- MOT certificate
- Proof of vehicle tax
- Meter calibration certificate (only required when a taximeter is installed in the vehicle)
- Passenger lift certificate (if the vehicle has a lift fitted)
- Single Vehicle Approval or Individual Vehicle Approval certificate (limousines and novelty vehicles only).
Tests are carried out at our Depot. Appointments can be made by contacting us on 01283 595765/595716 during office hours or by contacting the Depot directly on 01283 595991.
Once you have passed the Depot test, the application form, original supporting documentation and relevant fee can be handed in at reception. There is no need to take a ticket. Reception will copy your original documents. The fee can be paid at the payment tills located in reception.
We will accept copies of the insurance policy direct from the insurance company via email. An applicant is also able to forward an email from the insurance company onto us.
If you are not able to submit the full V5 as the vehicle has just been purchased, then the green slip will be sufficient for the application as proof of ownership of the vehicle. The full V5 must be submitted within two weeks of the grant of the licence.
Once granted, the vehicle must comply with the conditions attached to the licence at all times.
Six monthly test
If granted, the licence will last for one year. Another depot test will be due after six months to ensure the continued safety of the vehicle. We will write to remind you to arrange the Depot test which can be booked in the same way. Failure to have your vehicle tested will result in the suspension of the private hire vehicle licence until the test is passed. If the vehicle fails the test, the private hire vehicle licence will be suspended until the vehicle passes another test.
There will be a retest fee of £31 if the vehicle fails the Depot test.
CCTV in private hire vehicles
CCTV can be installed in private hire vehicles provided the CCTV Policy (pdf, 242kb) is complied with - check this before purchasing a CCTV system. Once the CCTV system has been purchased, complete and return the CCTV request form (pdf, 35kb) and we will then arrange an inspection of the system.